Friday, 12 June, 2015

How to hire a car with the new UK Driving Licence changes

By now, you’re probably used to being told to bring both parts of your driving licence to a service or an MOT, it’s been a normal procedure for decades; but as of the 8th of June 2015, the paper counterpart is no longer needed.

UK driving licence

Getting rid of the paper counterpart comes shortly after the DVLA decided to get rid of the tax discs and both abolishments are thought to be in an effort to cut costs (an estimated £8 million after 450,000 counterparts were replaced last year) and merge everything into a much simpler, online digitised system.

So what is going to replace the counterpart? Shall I get rid of the counterpart?

There will be no replacement for the paper counterpart, the DVLA have confirmed. Drivers will now only need their photocard and it’s recommended that this is kept on your person whilst driving, in order to avoid having to turn up at a police station (providing your licence) should you be stopped without your photocard.

Although the DVLA say that you longer need your paper counterpart, companies such as the AA recommend that you keep hold of it as a “belt and braces” precaution; it’s also easier to check information about your licence from the paper counterpart. Continue reading